The Pennsylvania Department of Environmental Protection has issued the Borough of Delmont an NPDES Individual Permit for Stormwater Discharges from its small Municipal Separate Storm Sewer System (MS4). To learn more about how you as a homeowner can help with stormwater management around your home, read this informational booklet.
The Borough’s MS4 system is inclusive of inlets, catch basins, storm sewers pipes, swales, and stormwater detention facilities, among many other facilities that collect, convey or manage stormwater.
The MS4 Permit regulates discharges from the Borough’s MS4 to the Waters of the Commonwealth with the intent of reducing the discharge of pollutants and increasing water quality to the maximum extent practicable. To comply with the requirements of the Permit, the Borough must implement a plan to address the following six Minimum Control Measures (MCMs):
- MCM 1 – Public Education and Outreach
- MCM 2 – Public Participation and Involvement
- MCM 3 – Illicit Discharge Detection and Elimination
- MCM 4 – Construction Site Runoff Control
- MCM 5 – Post-Construction Storm Water Management in New Development and Redevelopment
- MCM 6 – Pollution Prevention/Good Housekeeping
Residents Roles in Helping to Prevent Stream Pollution
Delmont Borough residents can help reduce the discharge of pollutants to the streams and protect water quality by doing the following:
- Never dump anything besides stormwater into a storm drain, inlet, swale or stream. Dumping in these areas is an Illicit Discharge and is a violation of the Borough Prohibited Discharge Ordinance.
- Report Illicit Discharges. If you observe anyone dumping anything into the MS4 system, or notice a non-stormwater discharge entering the MS4 or a stream, immediately notify the Borough at (724) 468-4422.
- Pick up and properly dispose of pet waste. Pet waste should never be disposed of in a storm drains, inlet, catch basin or stream.
- Wash vehicles such that wash water does not enter the MS4. Wash vehicle in lawn or gravel areas, or take them to commercial car washes.
- Recycle or properly dispose of hazardous materials including paints, used oil and chemical.
- Pick up litter, debris or garbage from yard, sidewalks, driveways and other areas so that it is not washed into a storm drain.
Water Cycle Glossary of Terms (Thanks to Rose!)